Tips on Thailand (Import of a Vehicle)
THE TEMPORARY IMPORT OF A VEHICLE FOR THE PURPOSE OF TOURISM
1. Valid International Driving Licence and passport
or equivalent documents are required.
2. Vehicle registration or, in the case of a borrowed
vehicle, authorization documents from the owner are required.
3. Cash guarantee or bank guarantee or self-guarantee
is required. If Vehicle is brought in through Bangkok
Airport or Khlong Toei Port, cash guarantee or bank guarantee
is essential. If entry is via land across the southern
border then it is acceptable to guarantee oneself by completing
the customs form, giving necessary details to the
customs officer and signing the record.
4. Permission is granted for a 6 month period from
the date of entry.
5. In the case of having requested to bring thc vehicle
in for a period of just 5-10 days and then wishing to
extend the length of stay, a renewal can be granted free
of charge by the Customs Department.
(1) Contact the customs office at the relevant border.
(2) Custorms officer will complete an additional incoming
form and at the same time check documents as in No.2
above and also fix the self-guarantee.
(3) In the case of cash or bank guarantee, the customs officer
will evaluate the price of the vehicle according to
its conditions plus 20%. For further information, please
contact the Customs Department, Tel. 2490431-40
Content © 1995 Tourism Authority of Thailand
Design © 1995 AIT
Network Services Unit